The Tournament (Waterski) Committee met yesterday and discussed the ongoing Covid-19 situation and its impact on this years waterski season.
The current position is that all sanctioned Tournament events in the UK have been cancelled up to the end of June. We said that a decision about the events scheduled in July would be made at the end of May but as Lockdown restrictions are slowly changing a decision about July and beyond will now be taken by the TC in a meeting scheduled for 11th June. This includes a decision about the August National Championships.
While the current restrictions on social distancing and group gatherings stay in place it is difficult to see how competitions can resume however we want to leave all options open as we move forward.
At the World level the U17 Championships have been postponed until 2021 with dates still to be announced. The 35+ Championships have been rescheduled for 13 – 19 September 2021 and a decision about the World University Championships is imminent.
In Europe the 35+ Championships have been cancelled and decisions about the Open, Youth and U21 events will be taken 60 days before the events are scheduled. If these events do ultimately take place the TC will consider the safety and well being of our skiers before deciding to enter individual or team skiers.
We remain hopeful that some part of the competitive season might well be salvaged but clearly we, like all competitive sports, will be guided by the government guidelines and advice from the Sports Councils.